Graveyard, Trumman West, Co. Donegal
In the townland of Templemealaghan, County Donegal, a natural mound once held a medieval church and burial ground that have now completely vanished from the landscape.
Graveyard, Trumman West, Co. Donegal
Known locally as ‘the church mound’, this elevated site in good agricultural land was marked on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch maps of the area, though today no physical traces remain of either the church or its associated graveyard.
The church met its end sometime before 1847, when local historian Fagan documented that it had been ‘recently demolished’ by the landowner. His account provides a tantalising glimpse of what was lost; the building apparently featured Gothic-style doors and windows framed with cut stone, and was decorated with carved human heads and other ornamental devices. Fortunately, a sketch of the ruined church was preserved amongst the Ordnance Survey memoirs, offering the only visual record of this lost ecclesiastical site.
The information about Templemealaghan comes from the comprehensive Archaeological Survey of County Donegal, compiled in 1983 by Brian Lacey and his team of archaeologists. This survey catalogued field antiquities throughout the county, documenting sites from the Mesolithic period through to the 17th century, and has been periodically updated since its initial publication.





