• Menu
  • Menu

Pete

I'm just someone who enjoys knowing a little about my local area, and helping others to learn about theirs too.

Daniel O’Connell Statue, Dublin

Daniel O’Connell Statue in the 1800s, notice Nelson’s Column and the GPO in the background The Statue of Daniel O’Connell was unveiled in 1882 to honour the political leader, also known as “the Emancipator” and “the Liberator”. At the base of the statue are four winged ‘victories’ representing courage, fidelity...

Cork City – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

CORK, a sea-port, city, and a county of itself, the head of a poor-law union, and the scat of a diocese, locally in the county of Cork, of which it is the capital, and in the province of MUNSTER, 51 miles (S. W. by W.) from Waterford, and 126 (S. W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 80,720 inhabitants. This place, which in extent and importance is the second city in...

Carlow Town – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

CARLOW, a borough, market, and post town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the barony and county of Car low, and province of Leinster, 18 miles (N. E.) from Kilkenny, and 39 (S. W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 9901 inhabitants, of whom 8734 are in the borough: the parliamentary limits include the suburb of Graigue, in the barony of Slieumargne, Queen’s...

Co. Carlow – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

CARLOW, an inland county of the province of Leinster, bounded on the east by the counties of Wicklow and Wexford, on the north by those of Kildare and Wicklow, on the west by the Queen’s county and Kilkenny, and on the south by that of Wexford. It extends from 52° 26′ to 52° 54′ (N. Lat.), and from 6° 30′ to 7° 12′ (W. Lon.); and...

Co. Cork – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

CORK (County of), a maritime county of the province of Munster. and the largest in Ireland, bounded on the east by the counties of Tipperary and Waterford, on the north by that of Limerick, on the west by that of Kerry, and on the south-west, south, and south-east by St. Georges Channel. It extends from 51° 12′ to 52° 13 (N. Lat.), and from 7° 45′ to 10°...

Co. Kerry – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

KERRY, a maritime county of the province of Munster, bounded on the east by the counties of Limerick and Cork, on the north by the estuary of the Shannon (which separates it from Clare), on the west by the Atlantic, and on the south by the same ocean and the county of Cork. It extends from 51° 40′ to 52° 37′ (N. Lat.) and from 9° 8′ to 10° 27′...

Co. Clare – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

CLARE (County of), a maritime county of the province of MUNSTER, bounded on the east and south by Lough Derg and the river Shannon, which successively separate it from the counties of Tipperary, Limerick, and Kerry ; on the west by the Atlantic Ocean , and on the north-west by Galway bay ; while on the north and north-east an imaginary boundary divides it from...

Co. Fermanagh – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

FERMANAGH, an inland county of the province of Ulster, bounded on the east by Monaghan and Tyrone, on the north by Tyrone and Donegal, on the west by Donegal and Leitrim, and on the sooth by Cavan. It extends from 54° 7′ to 54° 40’ (N. Lat), and from 7° 1′ to 8° 5′ (W. Lon.); and comprises an area of 457.195 statute acres, of which 289,228 are...

Co. Down – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

DOWN (County of), a maritime county of the province of Ulster, bounded on the east and south by the Irish Sea, on the north by the county of Antrim and Carrickfergus bay, and on the west by the county of Armagh. It extends from 54° 0′ to 54° 40′ (N. Lat.) and from 5° 18′ to 6° 20′ (W. Lon.); and comprises an area of 612,495 statute acres, of...

Donegal Town – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)

Extract from: Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) DONEGAL, a sea-port, market, and post town, a parish, the head of a union, and formerly an incorporated parliamentary borough, in the barony of Tyrhugh, county of Donegal, and province of Ulster, 24 miles (8. W.) from Lifford, and 113 (N. W.) from Dublin; containing 6588 inhabitants, of whom 1013 are...