Cullam Castle, Court, Co. Limerick

Cullam Castle, Court, Co. Limerick

On a hill overlooking the River Maigue near Kildimo stands what remains of Cullam Castle, once a formidable tower house that guarded the lower reaches of the river.

Cullam Castle, Court, Co. Limerick

Also known as Killacollum or Collum Castle, this medieval stronghold was originally recorded in 1201 as being held by Limerick Cathedral. By the 1650s, the castle had become the property of John Haly of Limerick, though it was already described as ruinous, accompanied by just three small cottages. The structure itself was a rectangular tower house measuring roughly 9 metres long and 7 metres wide, featuring a vaulted ground floor, two upper storeys accessed by a spiral staircase, and a distinctive polygonal angle tower on its northwest corner. The castle was protected by a bawn, or fortified enclosure, traces of which have been identified through archaeological excavation.

The castle’s most dramatic moment came during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland in 1651. Captain Thady Burke and his garrison of fifty men defended Cullam against Sir Hardress Waller’s parliamentary forces. After a brief artillery bombardment using sakers, Burke agreed to surrender. However, in a tragic miscommunication, soldiers stationed on the tower who hadn’t heard of the capitulation opened fire on the English troops entering the gate, killing two and wounding Waller in the left arm. Despite this provocation, Waller showed remarkable restraint and prevented his men from taking revenge on the Irish garrison, contenting himself instead with pillaging the castle and surrounding countryside. The castle later passed to the Marquis of Clanricard before being dismantled by parliamentary forces.



Today, only fragments of Cullam Castle survive; principally a portion of the north wall standing about 2.4 metres high and 6 metres long. Archaeological excavations in 2005 revealed that whilst the west, south and east walls appear to have been demolished in recent times, the original floor of the tower house remains identifiable as a distinctive sandy gravel surface. The excavations also uncovered the earthwork remains of the surrounding bawn, forming an enclosure to the north and east of the tower with a possible entrance to the north. Finds from the site, including pottery sherds and animal bones dating from the 16th to mid 17th century, provide tangible connections to the castle’s period of occupation, when it stood as a significant defensive position along this strategically important river route.

Rated 0 out of 5

Good to Know

Tags

Visitor Notes

Review type for post source and places source type not found
Added by
Picture of IrishHistory.com
IrishHistory.com
IrishHistory.com is passionate about helping people discover and connect with the rich stories of their local communities.
Please use the form below to submit any photos you may have of Cullam Castle, Court, Co. Limerick. We're happy to take any suggested edits you may have too. Please be advised it will take us some time to get to these submissions. Thank you.
Name
Email
Message
Upload images/documents
Maximum file size: 50 MB
If you'd like to add an image or a PDF please do it here.

Salter, M. 2004 The castles of North Munster. Worcestershire. Folly Publications. Simington, R.C. (ed.) 1938 The civil survey, AD 1654-1656. Vol. IV: county of Limerick, with a section of Clanmaurice barony Co. Kerry. Dublin. Irish Manuscripts Commission. Westropp, T.J. 1906-7 The ancient castles of the county of Limerick. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 26, 54-264. OSNB – Ordnance Survey Name Books. Pro-forma books arranged by Civil Parish for recording townland and other name-forms and compiled in the course of the OS 6-inch survey 1824-1841. The name books also include minor names and incidental references to antiquities. National Archives of Ireland. Grose, F. 1791 The antiquities of Ireland, 2 vols. London. S. Hooper. Begley, J. 1906 The Diocese of Limerick ancient and medieval. Dublin. Dowd, J. 1896 Round about the County of Limerick. Limerick. G. McKern & Sons. Donnelly, C.J. 1999 A Typological Study of the Tower Houses of County Limerick. Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 129, 19-39. NLI, PD 1996 TX 12 National Library of Ireland, Two figures standing in front of the ruins of Cullum Castle with trees and mountains in the background. P. S. Munn. Catalogue of Irish Topographical Prints and Original Drawings / Rosalind M. Elmes. Dublin. NLI, ET B435 National Library of Ireland, View of the ruins of Cullum Castle, Co. Limerick. J. Fisher, artist. Eastgate Engraver. Plate to F. Grose’s ‘Antiquities of Ireland.’ London: Published by S. Hooper Holborn, 1792. Dublin. Hibernia Regnum: A set of 214 barony maps of Ireland dating to the period AD 1655-59. The original parish maps have been lost but the Hibernia Regnum maps are preserved in the Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris (Goblet 1932, v-x). Photographic facsimiles of these maps were published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton in 1908.
Court, Co. Limerick
52.61754004, -8.7762834
52.61754004,-8.7762834
Court 
Tower Houses 

Related Places