Site of Castle Blake or Farranshone, Limerick City, Co. Limerick

Site of Castle Blake or Farranshone, Limerick City, Co. Limerick

Just north of Limerick City lies a mystery that has puzzled historians for over a century: the lost Castle of Blathac, also known as Castle Blake or Farranshone.

Site of Castle Blake or Farranshone, Limerick City, Co. Limerick

This elusive fortress appears in medieval records dating back to 1218, when Walter de Lacy held it alongside properties in Drogheda and Ardmayle, County Tipperary. The castle was apparently one of forty fortifications granted to the citizens of Limerick by King John, though frustratingly, none of these structures left any trace that early twentieth-century scholars could identify. Between 1213 and 1228, the citizens granted the castle and a carucate of land to Henry de Londres, Archbishop of Dublin, and the Church of the Holy Trinity, marking the beginning of a long chain of ownership that would stretch into the seventeenth century.

The historical record offers tantalising glimpses of the castle’s later fate. Before 1248, the Archbishop granted it to Matilda, wife of W. de Mareys, and by the 1620s, the property had passed to Sir William Parsons, who received confirmation of his ownership of “Castleblake or Castleblagh in the County of the City of Limerick” in 1624. Nicholas Arthur held it in 1633 and 1655, and Sir William Petty received confirmation of the lands in 1666. Intriguingly, whilst the castle doesn’t appear on Petty’s maps, the 1657 Down Survey barony map of the North Liberties shows two buildings immediately south of the road leading into Limerick City, in roughly the same location where Ordnance Survey maps would later mark the castle site.



Today, modern housing covers the area where Victorian cartographers placed Castle Blake, somewhere in or near what became the North Liberties of Limerick; a district that was eventually formed into its own barony. The castle’s precise location remains debatable, though it must have stood close to the city and adjoining the forty carucates of burgage land granted by King John. Early twentieth-century antiquarians like Westropp and Orpen connected it with the townland of Farranshone, which still retains its name, albeit as a disjointed fragment of its former self. Whether any physical traces of this medieval stronghold survive beneath the streets and houses of modern Limerick remains an open question, a reminder that even in well-documented landscapes, some historical mysteries refuse to yield their secrets.

Rated 0 out of 5

Good to Know

Tags

Visitor Notes

Review type for post source and places source type not found
Added by
Picture of IrishHistory.com
IrishHistory.com
IrishHistory.com is passionate about helping people discover and connect with the rich stories of their local communities.
Please use the form below to submit any photos you may have of Site of Castle Blake or Farranshone, Limerick City, Co. Limerick. We're happy to take any suggested edits you may have too. Please be advised it will take us some time to get to these submissions. Thank you.
Name
Email
Message
Upload images/documents
Maximum file size: 50 MB
If you'd like to add an image or a PDF please do it here.

Westropp, T.J. 1906-7 The ancient castles of the county of Limerick. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 26, 54-264. Westropp, T.J. 1907 The principal ancient castles of the county of Limerick. Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland Pt.1, 24-40, 153-64. Orpen, G.H 1909 Notes on some county Limerick Castles. Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 30-41. Hibernia Regnum: A set of 214 barony maps of Ireland dating to the period AD 1655-59. The original parish maps have been lost but the Hibernia Regnum maps are preserved in the Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris (Goblet 1932, v-x). Photographic facsimiles of these maps were published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton in 1908. Orpen, G.H. 1914 The Site of Castle Blathach. Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 4, 167-70. NLI, MS 718 – National Library of Ireland, Parish maps with terriers, showing forfeited lands in County Limerick, commonly known as the “Down Survey”, executed under the direction of Sir William Petty, 1657, and copied by Daniel O’Brien, 1786.
Limerick City, Co. Limerick
52.66904884, -8.63143024
52.66904884,-8.63143024
Limerick City 
Masonry Castles 

Related Places