Site of Castle, Lagganstown Upper, Co. Tipperary South
In the gently rolling farmland of South Tipperary, the remains of a 17th-century bawn wall now serve as the boundary for a working farmyard in Lagganstown Upper.
Site of Castle, Lagganstown Upper, Co. Tipperary South
The southern and southwestern sides of this historic fortification still define the yard’s perimeter, whilst the northern wall has been incorporated into the back of agricultural buildings. Modern farming has left its mark on the site; the yard has been covered in concrete, a lean-to with corrugated iron roofing has been built against the southern wall, and a large concrete cattle shed occupies the bawn’s southern section.
Historical records paint a picture of what once stood here. The Civil Survey of 1654-6 tells us that James, Earl of Ormond, owned Lagganstown in 1640, and that the property featured ‘a Castle wanting repayre wth a Bawne & some thatcht cabbins’. The castle itself has completely vanished, leaving no visible trace above ground, though Ordnance Survey letters from the 19th century suggest there may have been a square tower at the northeast corner of the bawn that had already disappeared by their time.
Today, this site represents the typical fate of many Irish fortified houses and their defensive bawns; practical farming needs have overtaken historical preservation, with ancient walls repurposed rather than restored. The bawn walls that once protected castle inhabitants from raiders now shelter cattle and farm equipment, a quietly pragmatic transformation that has at least ensured the structure’s partial survival into the 21st century.





