• Menu
  • Menu

Tag - Samuel Lewis

Jerpoint Abbey in the 1840s

ABBEY-JERPOINT, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, union and county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Thomastown; containing 375 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Nore, and derives its name from an abbey established here, in 1180, by Donogh 0’Donoghoe, King of Ossory, for monks of the Cistercian order, whom he removed...

A look at Castlebar in the 1840s

CASTLEBAR, a market and post town, a parish, the head of a union, and formerly a parliamentary borough, in the barony of Carra, county of Mayo, and province of Connaught, 44 miles (S. W.) from Sligo, and 125 1/4 (W. by N.) from Dublin ; containing 10,464 inhabitants, of whom 5137 are in the town. This place owes its rise and importance to Sir John Bingham, the...

A look at Enniskillen in the 1840s

ENNISKILLEN, a borough and market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, partly in the baronyof Magheraboy, but chiefly in that of Tyrkennedy, county of Fermanagh (of which it is the chief town), and province of Ulster, 21 1/2 miles (S. E.) from Ballyshannon, and 80 1/2 (N. N. W ) from Dublin; containing, in the whole parish, 14,678 inhabitants : the borough and...

A look at Clonmel in the 1840s

CLONMEL, a borough, market, and assize town, a parish, and the head of a union, partly in the barony of Upperthird, county of Waterford, but chiefly in that of Iffa and Offa East, county of Tipperary, andprovince of Minster, 23 miles (W. by N.) from Waterford, and 82 1/2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Dublin ; containing 17,720 inhabitants, of whom 13,505 are in the town...

A look at Ballina in the 1840s

BALLINA, a sea-port, market, and post town, and the head of a union, in the parish of Kilmoremoy,barony of Tyrawley, county of Mayo, and province of Connaught, I7 1/4 miles (N. N. E.) from Castlebar, and125 miles (W. N. W.) from Dublin ; containing 5313 inhabitants. This town, originally called Belleek, or the“Ford of the Flags,”‘ owes its origin to...

A look at Ballyhaunis in the 1840s

BALLYHAUNIS, a market-town, in the union of Castlerea, partly in the parish of Becan, but chieflyin that of Annagh, barony of Costello, county of Mayo, and province of Connaught, 9 miles (W. by N.)from Dublin, on the road from Castlerea to Castlebar; containing 353 inhabitants. A monastery was founded here for friars of the order of St. Augustine, and largely...

A look at Adare in the 1840s

ADARE, a post-town and parish, in the union of Rathkeale, partly in the barony of Kenry, and partly inthe Eastern Division of that of Upper Connello, but chiefly in the barony of Coshma, county of Limerick,and province of Munster, 8 miles (S. W.) from Limerick, and 102 miles (S. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 4902 inhabitants, of whom 1095 are in the town. The...

A look at Acton in the 1840s

A look at Acton in the 1840s

ACTON, a district parish, in the union of Newry, barony of Lower Orior, county of Armagh, andprovince of Ulster, 3 miles (8. s. E.) from Tanderagee, on the old road from Newry to that place: the population is returned with Ballymore. The village was originally founded by Sir Toby Pointz, who, for his military services, obtained a grant of 500 acres of land, part of...

A look at Kildare in the 1840s

KILDARE, a market and post town, a parish, and the seat of a diocese, in the union of NAAS, partly in the barony of CONNELL, but chiefly in that of EAST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 9 1/4 miles (W.S.W) from Naas, and 25 miles (W.S.W.) from Dublin, on the coach-road to Limerick; containing 2654 inhabitants, of whom 1629 are in the town. This...

Co. Kildare – Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1849)

KILDARE (County of), and inland county of the province of LEINSTER, bounded on the east by the counties of Dublin and Wicklow, on the north by Meath, on the west by the King’s and Queen’s counties, and on the south by Carlow. It extends from 52° 51′ to 53° 26′ (N. Lat.), and from 6° 30’ to 7° 12′ (W. Lon.); and comprises an area of...