Tullymore Lighthouse dates back to 1825 when the traders and merchants in Killybegs asked the Ballast Board for a navigation light on St. John’s Point to help ships navigate their way to safe harbour. After some delays, the approval was given in 1829 to start construction.
George Halpin Sr. was tasked with the design and building of the lighthouse. He is credited with the construction of much of the Port of Dublin, and is considered a founding father of the Irish lighhouse service.
The lighthouse came into service in 1832 and almost a hundred years later was automated, in 1931. The lighthouse later converted to electricity in the 1960s.
Tullymore Lighthouse is currently run by the Commissioners of Irish Lights, and the lighthouse keepers cottages are available to rent for short stays.