ABBEY-JERPOINT, a parish, in the barony of Gowran, union and county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 1 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Thomastown; containing 375 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Nore, and derives its name from an abbey established here, in 1180, by Donogh 0’Donoghoe, King of Ossory, for monks of the Cistercian order, whom he removed from a distant part of Ossory. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and was amply endowed by the royal founder, who was interred here in 1185; its possessions were subsequently confirmed by John, Lord of Ireland. In 1202, Felix O’Dullany, Bishop of Ossory, was interred here: at his tomb many miracles are said to have been wrought ; and the abbey became a favourite place of sepulture with all the great families in the surrounding country. The abbot was a lord in parliament, but in 1395 obtained exemption from attendance, on the plea that his house was subject to the abbey of Baltinglass, the abbot of which performed the parliamentary duties. The abbey continued to flourish till its dissolution in the 31st of Henry VIII., when it was surrendered into the king’s hands by Oliver Grace, the last abbot , and its possessions were subsequently granted by Philip and Mary to James, Earl of Ormonde, and his heirs male, to be held in capite at an annual rent of £49. 3. 9. The ruins are very extensive, and display some fine specimens of the later Norman passing into the early English style of architecture, but are rapidly falling to decay; the most perfect portion is a well-proportioned square embattled tower. The parish comprises 1008 statute acres. It is in the diocese of Ossory, and is a vicarage and one of the several denominations, or reputed parishes, that constitute the union of Burnchurch: the tithe rent-charge is £52. 10. In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the district of Thomastown.
Extract from: Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
Photo c. 1887