• Menu
  • Menu

A look at Abbeyshrule in the 1840s

ABBEYSHRULE, or Abbeyshruel, a parish, in the union of Longford, barony of Shrule, county of
Longford, and province of Leinbter, 11/2 mile (S. W.) from Colchill, on the road from Longford to Moyvore ;
containing 1283 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Inney, which divides it into two parts, connected by a
stone bridge of ten arches. It derives its name from the monastery of Shrowl, or Shruel, founded here prior to the tenth century, and refounded for monks of the Cistercian order, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin,
by O’Ferrall, who completed it, according to Sir James Ware’s conjecture, about the year 1150 or 1152. The
monastery subsisted till the dissolution, when it was granted to James, Earl of Roscommon ; and in 1569 it
was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Sir Robert Dillon, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas. In the village is a
large flour-mill ; also a station of the constabulary police ; and some good houses have been recently built
on the townland of Abbeyshrule. A fair is held on the first Wednesday after Trinity. The Royal Canal passes
through, and at a short distance is carried over the Inney by a handsome aqueduct. The parish comprises
2340 1/4 statute acres, a portion of which is bog, but scarcely sufficient to supply the inhabitants with fuel :
on the confines of the county is a quarry of black stone. It is in the diocese of Ardagh, and is a rectory and
vicarage, forming part of the union of Tashinny : the tithe rent-charge is £65. 15. In the Roman Catholic
divisions Abbeyshrule is part of the district of Carrickedmond, or Teighshinod ; the chapel is situated in the
village. Some remains of the ancient abbey yet exist; and there is a large square tower, to which is attached
an extensive cemetery.

Extract from: Lewis – A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

Did you find this helpful?

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *